While college is an option for some high school students, it is not an option for everyone. All high school students should consider a career with the Sheet Metal Workers Union. Our first-year Journeymen can make more money than most first-year college graduates.
The Sheet Metal Industry Offers:
- Free Training
- Free Education
- Livable Hourly Wages
- Excellent Health Insurance
- Great Retirement Benefits
Apprentices in the sheet metal industry
- Earn a good salary while learning the sheet metal trade – a salary that increases as skills and knowledge increase
- Avoid massive student debt from burdensome college loans
- Pay nothing for books or other educational materials
- Learn from instructors who have hands-on experience in the sheet metal industry
- Put education and skills to work right away – careers begin with apprenticeships
Today’s sheet metal industry needs highly-skilled, highly-trained and motivated workers to lead us through the next half century. By entering the Local 24 apprenticeship program, you will receive the industry’s best training, designed to give you the lifelong skills to be a successful Sheet Metal Worker.
Local 24 apprentices “earn while they learn,” meaning they receive classroom instruction and on-the-job training, where they work side-by-side with skilled Journeymen, helping them to gain both practical experience and the knowledge needed to progress through the program and become a Journeyman.
There are three apprentice training facilities in the Local 24 region: Dayton, Cincinnati, and Columbus (including South Point). Contact the facility in your area for more specific information regarding their programs or click the links below to learn more about each training center.
6550 Poe Ave.
Dayton, OH 45414
Administrator/Coordinator: Eugene Frazier
1579 Summit Rd., Rm. 114
Cincinnati, OH 45237
Administrator/Coordinator: Gary Shinkle
- Earning a good salary while learning your trade
- Periodic raises in salary corresponding with increases in skills and knowledge
- Receiving healthcare and retirement benefits
- Paying no tuition costs
- Paying nothing for books or other educational materials
- Learning from instructors who have hands-on experience in the sheet metal industry
- Putting everything you learn to work right away
- Starting your career debt free, with no student loans
- Commercial Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Residential Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Architectural Sheet Metal
- Industrial Welding
- Testing Adjusting and Balancing (TAB)
- Being in good physical condition
- Having above average mechanical and math skills
- Good eye-to-hand coordination
- Understanding spatial relationships
- Understanding how patterns are used to create metal forms
- Having excellent work and study habits